Finally a pizza crust that you can make from home and you don’t need to rely on a mix. This recipe has been adapted from Oats Everyday you can see the original post here.
Usually making a gluten free pizza crust involves a complex mixture of gums, binders, and different flours and starches. The results may or may not turn out. It can be frustrating and expensive, but relying on a pre-made pizza mix can be annoying. This recipe only uses one flour and you can even make that flour yourself if you have some gluten free rolled oats in your pantry. The dough actually kneads quite nicely and you do not need to deal with a messy batter that you have to spread onto a pizza pan.
The Italian Seasoning gives this crust a fabulous flavour. The whole oat flour is high fibre compared to using white refined grains like rice flour. Don’t skimp on the honey as it is also essential and pairs nicely with oats. For best results bake this pizza on a stone pizza pan. The bottom will brown and become nice and crispy.
Once you have learned to make this pizza crust you will never go back to a pre-made mix!
Ingredients for the crust
- 1 cup warm water (100 - 110°F)
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast (not instant)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or coconut oil
- 3 cups oat flour (you can make your own from Splendor Garden Organic Gluten Free Thick Rolled Oats)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp Splendor Garden Organic Italian Seasoning - "Salt Free"
Ingredients for making the pizza
- 1.5 cup pizza sauce
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- Pizza toppings (fried onions, browned hamburger, grilled chicken, sliced bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, or spinach)
Proof the Yeast: Add water to a glass measuring cup. The water should be warm to the touch, but not hot or it can kill the yeast. Whisk honey into warm water and then add yeast. Give yeast a quick stir then set aside. Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
Make Some Oat Flour: If you do not have any oat flour you can make your own by measuring 3 heaping cups into a high powered blender or food processor. You want to add a few extra oats to make a bit of extra flour for dusting. Blend oats on high until powdery.
Make the Dough: Measure 3 cups of oat flour, spices, and salt and add to a large mixing bowl. The yeast will be done proofing when it has doubled in size. Add olive oil to yeast mixture and pour into dry ingredients. Use a large wooden spoon to mix. Dough should be sticky but should form a ball. Allow dough to rest once incorporated while you prepare toppings.
Prepare toppings: Our favorite combination of toppings for a hearty pizza includes fried onions, browned hamburger, chopped spinach, and sliced mushrooms. A delicious vegetarian option includes pickled banana peppers, kalamata olives, chopped spinach, and red onion.
Assemble Pizza: Rolled pizza dough on 12 inch stone pizza pan. Add sauce and toppings and cover with cheese. Bake at 375°F for 20 - 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and edges of pizza are browned.
- Give Your Old Spices A Second Chance! August 6, 2020
- Father’s Day: A Day for Dad June 18, 2020
- Recognizing Local Talent – Featured Artist: Rita Loehr June 9, 2020
- Supporting Local: Buying Canadian Fish June 2, 2020
- Fishing Trip Planning: Basic Checklist for Beginners May 22, 2020