The air has been crisp and fall is in the air! Apples are plentiful at this time of year. The squirrel in me is always looking to store my fresh organic produce to enjoy in future months. I have been making Freezer Apple Pie Filling from the crab apples on my tree for years and I love how one jar is perfect for one pie.
Freezer Apple Pie Filling
- 7 lbs sliced apples (approx. 22-24 cups)
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon Splendor Garden Organic Apple Pie Spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- Zest & juice the lemon and set aside.
- Peel and slice apples. (NOTE: When I use crab apples, I tend to leave the skin on. It disintegrates during the cooking process but you can remove the skins if you prefer.)
- In a large pot, combine both sugars, corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and water. Bring to a boil while whisking over medium-high heat and let boil 2 minutes until thick and bubbly. Stir in apple slices and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer 10 minutes or until apples begin to soften. They do not need to be completely cooked! Remove from heat and cover. Let cool about 30-40 minutes, checking periodically. Your apples should be soft but not mushy.
- Ladle equal amounts into glass jars. I found that one quart jar is exactly one 9″ pie!
- Let cool on the counter and then freeze for up to one year.
Choose organic for a healthier lifestyle!
Splendor Garden is a Canadian provider of organic herbs and spices!