This Apple Breakfast Muffin is one of those recipes that you hold close to your heart. It’s the stuff that mothers are made of. Every time I bite into these muffins, a tidal wave of childhood memories come flooding back to me. My copy, is on a yellowing piece of stiff paper. Definitely not a flashy white recipe card. It’s been used many times and shows its wear.
My recipe originally calls for crabapples, but I often use it with any other tart apple during the non-crab months. I remember very clearly being small enough to sit on the counter-top to help stir that brown sugar with the apples. Oh my goodness…me.
Please enjoy this recipe, that was passed down to me. All great things were meant to be shared.
Apple Breakfast Muffins
- 2 Cups Cubed Unpeeled Apples (use crabapples in season)
- 2 tsp Splendor Garden Organic Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Splendor Garden Organic Allspice
- 1 C Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
Mix the first three ingredients in a medium sized bowl and let stand for 30 minutes. Stirring every 10 minutes. Try to resist ‘sampling’ the apples.
- In a large bowl, beat egg. Add oil and beat again.
- Mix in the apple mixture until well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until batter becomes moist.
- Try to resist eating the entire bowl of batter. It is literally better than cookie dough!
Fill muffin tins 3/4 full and bake at 350 degrees for 34 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins.
Choose organic for a healthier lifestyle!
Splendor Garden is a Canadian provider of organic herbs and spices!